Flash Lite and Mobile Development
Notes from Dave Yang and Dongyub Lee's session at FITC.
Dave starts off the session.
MGMaps: Grabs maps from Google maps and uses GPS to locate you on your mobile phone. Streaming video: He's showing us the Slingbox Mobile Player.
He's showing a QR Code example:
- Firefox extension: tinyurl.com/36evg6
- Kaywa Reader: http://reader.kaywa.com
- Kaywa Generator: http://qrcode.kaywa.com
- Nokia: 18.104.22.168
RFID (inventory tracking, sales info, security, transportation, games). Requires hardware reader/receiver. More expensive than QR Code.
Dongyub takes the stage.
Flashlite works on a range of embedded devices:
- MP3 players (e.g., iRiver)
- PMP (portable multimedia player; PMC; MP4 player)
- Mobile phones
- Other: Digital setup box, medical devices
He's going to demonstrate several such devices for us:
- iRiver Clix1 / U10 (Flashlite 1.1, Flash UI)
- Lupo Carrot Kids (edutainment device for kids; similar to Nintendo DS) - Setup, Contents pack - looks very cool!
- Samsung M4500 (comes with Flashlite) - Apocket.com, MyUI (a customizable home automation controller UI)
- Yukyung Viliv P1 (PMP player) - Flash UI, Flash games
B20, E10, clix2, etc.
- Text UI: Black and white
- Bitmap symbols - color
- Animated icons (flip images)
- 3D rendered images
- Flash UI - motion graphics with simple shapes
Dave's back on the mike.
Common mobile OS and platforms:
- Symbian S40/60/90/UIQ
- Windows Mobile
- Palm (new Linux platform announced)
- OSX (upcoming) J2ME Opera/Ajax
Phones, etc., but also gaming consoles (Wii, PS3, PSP), Cameras, GPS, dashboard displays, TVs, Chumby, set-top box, iTV, etc. For more see http://adobe.com/mobile/supported_devices/
- Flashlite 2.1 MMI - latest version
- Flashlite 3 is coming
- Flash Player for PocketPC
- Neo MTEL GUI engine (90% compatible with Flash 7)
- Digitalaria Mobile Flash (based on Flash 4 -- been around for 7 years or so ago)
Interfacing with the device:
- FSCommand2: send commands/query host
- Functions called in the SWF from the host (callbacks for incoming calls, etc.)
- Use an external files (loadMovie, loadVariables)
- Key events
- Device manufacturer: firmware programming
- Designer: graphic design
- Device manufacturer: User interface logic, program logic, application dev.
- Project manager: Interface management
- Flashlite Dev: Graphic design, user interface logic, application dev
- Device manufacturer: Firmware programming, program logic
Flashlite projects thus save time as the Flash team can work independently from the device manufacturer.
Dongyub is now showing the iRiver Clix2. Comes with Flash standalone player.
Flashlite 2 supports device video (native video format). Video is played on top of Flash. Minimal interactivity. Flashlite 3 supports streaming from FMS.
SWF2Go: Packages SWF, icon, and other content as a .sis installer. S2G-FITC (10% promo code). http:/www.orison.biz/store
Verizon wireless (BREW/USA only): Over-the-air delivery (auto download of Flashlite player) Symbian:
- Boston Adobe Mobile User Group
- Flash applications for mobile devices (book from Friends of ED)
More to come:
- Flash Lite 3