Unlocking Nokia 7610 on Vodafone
I've had it with my new Windows Mobile dumbphone and decided to go back to my old 7610 from ages past so that I can make decent phone calls again (my 6680 suffered a bad fall down the stairs and decided to retire from active service a little while ago.) Anyway, I'd forgotten that the 7610 was still locked to Vodafone and, instead of going through Vodafone's help desk, I decided to have a little fun and unlock it myself.
The first thing you notice when trying to find information on unlocking a cell phone is that there's quite an industry built around making this possible for you for a couple of pounds. Ignoring this, you notice that there's also a lot of information out there -- mostly of it conflicting with each other.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, here's what worked for me for the 7610. Your milage may vary and I'm not responsible if you mess up your phone. Warning, etc., and all that.
- I removed the SIM card and restarted the phone.
- Download the Ultimate Unlock Code Calculator by Unique. It's a Windows app so I ran it under Parallels.
- I used the following settings based on this forum post (the default ones didn't work).
- Model: DCT4
- IMEI: Enter your IMEI number here. You can get it by entering *#06# on your phone.
- Network code: Find yours in the text file that comes with the app. For Vodafone UK, it's: 23415
- ASIC type: 5 (manually change this)
- Key code: 32801 (manually change this)
- Click the Get Codes button and use Code #1 from the list of generated codes.
- To enter the code, press the * key several times to create the p, w and + characters.
Reportedly, if you enter the wrong code five times the sky may fall or something. Contacting Vodafone for your unlock codes is probably the safer option but I'll take any chance I get not to talk to customer support! :)