Tips for creative thinking
I was waiting for my drink at the cafe in my local Borders when I saw a couple of design books in the tidy pile by the counter. The first one, Colour by Ambrose/Harris looks like a lovely read and was what originally caught my attention. Under it, was a book titled Great Graphics on a Budget by dixonbaxi. I wasn't as interested but thought I'd flip through it anyway and I'm glad I did. On page 28, there's a great list of tips for creative thinking that I wholeheartedly agree with:
- Don't believe your own hype.
- Have a goal (or many).
- Try some things with no end result.
- Be aware.
- Talk to other designers.
- Talk to people other than designers.
- Make mistakes.
- Don't use technology as an excuse.
- Keep learning.
- Be true to what you believe in.
- Be humble.
- Work hard.
- Don't think about it, do it! ← One of my favorites!
- Be selfish.
- Have fun. ← Another favorite. If you're not doing this on a daily basis, then you're doing something wrong (or you're doing the wrong thing!)