Tweaky: Super Secret Twitter for Mac preferences for everyone
Update 12 June, 2011: Version 1.3 released. Fixes the missing @ sign bug on original and /via slashtag quote tweet styles. Download now.
It's a little past 5AM and I've been working on this for quite a few hours so apologies in advance if this post sounds slightly groggy. Allow me to introduce you to, Tweaky for Mac…
Tweaky lets you use the Super Secret preferences in Twitter for Mac which are otherwise only available to people who purchased the earlier version (when it was called Tweetie for Mac) through the MacHeist nanoBundle.
These Super Secret preferences actually include a number of important usability enhancements and should really have been made available in the core app. Tweaky fixes that oversight.
Download Tweaky (version 1.3, for OS X 10.6+, 848KB, .dmg).
- Version 1.3: Fixes the missing @ sign bug on original and /via slashtag quote tweet styles. Tested with Twitter for Mac version 2.1.1.
- Version 1.2: Supports the show full names and quote tweet style preferences in Twitter for Mac version 2.0.2.
- Version 1.1.5: Updated to support the changed link color preference in Twitter for Mac version 2.0.2
- Version 1.1: no functionality changes, just fixed a few typos in the Help to make my 5AM self seem slightly more articulate.
- User timeline avatar derepeater: Only shows a user's avatar once if they have a string of tweets on your timeline. Also means that you only see a user's avatar only once when viewing just their tweets.
- Scroll over window will bring to front: If the Twitter window is partially obscured under other windows and you scroll the Twitter feed, the Twitter window will be brought to the front.
- Type anywhere: when the Twitter app has focus, typing will begin a new tweet.
- Hide app in background: When the app loses focus, it's hidden in the background (instead of potentially being partially obscured by other apps).
- Compose windows float over all windows: the little windows your write your tweets on appear in front of all other windows at all times.
- ESC closes compose windows: does what it says on the tin. :)
- Link color: sets the color that links in tweets are displayed in. Personally, I like the default color but feel free to Bubblegum Pink if that floats your boat. :)
How it works
It's really not rocket science. The "Super Secret" preferences are just app preferences. You can easily set them using the defaults app in Terminal if you're not Terminal-phobic (e.g.,
defaults write com.twitter.twitter-mac ESCClosesComposeWindow 1). However, since many people are, and since these preferences really do make the app more usable, I thought it would benefit a lot of non-geeky folks to have an easy-to-use graphical interface.
That, and after two years of working on iOS apps, I wanted to make a Mac app :)
(And I'm pretty sure Loren and the other Twitter folk will make the features available to everyone soon enough anyway.)
If you liked Tweaky, check out some of the other stuff I'm working on:
I've got a cute little iPhone app called Feathers for decorating your tweets with proper punctuation, symbols, emoticons, and different text styles.
If you want to learn how to make iPhone and iPad apps, check out the workshops I'm teaching in the UK with Geek Ninja Factory.
Get in touch!
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave a comment here or to follow me on Twitter.
Hope you enjoy playing with Tweaky!
The cute little bird is from the Fluzzy Twitter Icon Set and the arrow I used in the background image of the disk image is by Sander Baumann.
by wajiii on 2011-01-13 11:24:06
by Josh Chow on 2011-01-18 00:26:17
by jen on 2011-01-14 19:22:58
by Aral Balkan · Tweaky: not coming to a Mac App Store near you anytime soon on 2011-02-07 22:12:26
by Martin on 2011-01-09 16:26:38
by Marius Ciobotaru on 2011-01-11 05:45:52
by don on 2011-01-13 04:44:15
by Andrew Philpott on 2011-01-20 16:51:31
by Wolf Becvar on 2011-02-07 23:49:03
by Michael on 2011-03-16 10:07:25
by Chuck on 2011-03-28 18:05:16
by Javiero on 2011-05-12 13:05:28
by Cyn on 2012-03-12 02:21:40