XAuthTwitterEngine deprecated, use MGTwitterEngine (& new MGTwitterEngine demo app released)
In March of this year, I created a Twitter library called XAuthTwitterEngine based on Matt Gemmell's awesome MGTwitterEngine library and the excellent work (and with the assistance) of a number of great developers (including Ben Gottlieb, Jon Crosby, Chris Kimpton, and Isaiah Carew, Steve Reynolds, and Norio Nomura). Back then, MGTwitterEngine didn't have oAuth/xAuth support and I built XAuthTwitterEngine as a stop-gap, with the intension of back-porting to MGTwitterEngine at some point.
Well, MGTwitterEngine has had excellent oAuth/xAuth for some time now and I finally got round to checking it out today only to realize just how much progress they've made. It's definitely time to deprecate XAuthTwitterEngine and start using MGTwitterEngine again (so I am back-porting Feathers to MGTwitterEngine at the moment).
One of my goals in releasing XAuthTwitterEngine was to have a simple demo that developer's could use as a reference – something that "just works". I still think that's necessary for MGTwitterEngine so I created a new one based on the demo project in XAuthTwitterEngine.
Some notes on the demo:
- It's an iPhone project.
- I've removed the (frankly pain-in-the-ass) YAJL sources from the compile sources for the main target
- I've added TouchJSON and enabled it.
- It stores the oAuth token returned from the initial xAuth call securely in the keychain using the SFHFKeychainUtils helper class by Justin Williams.
I kept most of the XAuthTwitterEngine code in comments to show you the differences between the two libraries in hopes that it will aid you in migrating your apps.
- I've done minimal testing on it
and haven't had a chance to clean up the code. There are blatant memory leaks, etc. which I will look into after finishing off this blog post. As the first step in porting Feathers back to MGTwitterEngine, I'm planning on evolving XAuthTwitterEngine into a façade that simply proxies calls to MGTwitterEngine. When that's ready, I'll release it as a drop-in replacement to get those of you using XAuthTwitterEngine to seamlessly and transparently switch to using the latest and greatest MGTwitterEngine (or, if you don't want to wait, just use the demo I liked to above as a guide to port your apps yourselves. The façade should just be an intermediary step anyway.)
Hope you find the demo project useful in getting up and running with MGTwitterEngine.